Friday, January 28, 2011

Family Stuff and Me Time

Things are going pretty smoothly in the house now that we have a routine down.  Nash seems to be taking better naps and having better nights...although he is still only sleeping a few hours at a time.  It's kind of time consuming to give him a bath every night around 730 (those are peak hours, I tell ya) and almost impossible when Joe's not around, but I think it relaxes him.  Also, we have to figure out an alternative for Thursday nights since Joe usually takes a shower and gets ready for work around 830 on Thursdays and it totally wakes Nash up.  Perhaps we will try sleeping in our own room for that first little Thursday period.

So, last night being Thursday, Joe woke him up and he was uber cranky.  So cranky in fact that I had to put him in the Moby wrap (being immobilized tends to knock him out).  THEN he was cranky every single time he woke up!  Made for a rough night since I had to keep putting him in the moby wrap and then trying to take it off once he was asleep on my chest.

Image via The Sleep Store (nz)

 On that note, I am trying a new thing called the Miracle Blanket. It's sort of like a swaddle blanket meets straight jacket.  Just got it in the mail tonight and it's the first attempt.  He was definitely cranky like last night, so here's hoping.  He calmed down and feel asleep, but I am also hoping it will help him stay asleep a bit longer. 

The one thing that I am finding surprising is that I am not totally hating the time it takes for him to fall asleep enough for me to put him in the bassinet.  Each night I sing to him, rock him, rub his back, and let him fall asleep on my chest for at least an hour, sometimes more.  I thought it would be so boring and I would be hating it, but it's totally the opposite.  I use that time (spent in the dark, quiet, empty room) to focus on my breathing, think about things I need/want to do the next day, and just enjoy cuddling with Nash.  It's only an hour of my life, and it brings me back to when I didn't have tv or internet and spent a lot of time reflecting instead.  Good for the soul, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...