Thursday, May 5, 2011

Making Baby Food

I know I said I would post on this a million years ago, but this is the first really free moment I've had all week. Being back at work really slims down my free time, especially because I spend a good portion of the night before preparing for the next day so I don't forget anything or run late.

Anyway, here it is.

I decided to whip up some baby food for Nash's 2nd go at solid food. If you recall, we introduced him to some solid food at about 4 months, but quit soon after because he wasn't sleeping well and thought it might have been a digestive thing (it wasn't). Either way, we decided to wait to try again. I wanted to wait until his 5-month mark, but he seemed so interested in food, it was almost sad to deprive him. So I spent a few hours making him some yums (would have taken less time, but I dilly-dallied). I wanted to start him off with peas, since everyone said he should have green vegetables first.

I made all of the recipes using my favorite baby food book, The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet.

I got some frozen peas from Target.


I put them, along with a small amount of water, into the microwave for a few minutes.


While the peas cooked and cooled, I started on the apples.  I used fuji apples,
since they are supposed to be pretty sweet.
 (Note:  this is for the microwave version...I usually do the stovetop 
version and will explain why later).


I cut the apples into quarters and then laid them cut side down 
to be microwaved (not shown).


Once the peas were cooled, I put them in the food processor 
along with some of the cooking water and pureed until smooth.

For the apples, I waited for them to cool, then peeled them and pureed along 
with some formula.  This is where I prefer the stovetop method.  It was 
difficult and very sticky to peel the apples once they were cooked and soft.  
The other method involves cutting and peeling first, then cooking with a 
small amount of water on the stove (checking levels often) until soft.  
Much less messy.


And this is the final product!  I also made sweet potatoes (just clean, 
prick with a fork, microwave, and puree with formula - easy!) and 
bananas (saute sliced bananas with a lil unsalted butter, then puree), 
but didn't snap photos of those.

By the way, he loved the peas!



Top Baby, Daddy & Mommy Blogs on TopBabyBlogs.Com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...