Thursday, March 15, 2012

Searching for the Words...

I've been so lucky as a mama, I tell you.  Despite what the doctor's initially said about a bright spot on his heart, and he's too big, and blah blah blah...he turned out fine.  Despite all our sleep troubles in the first four months and the challenges of breastfeeding, we're all here, relatively unscathed.  And he's growing, growing, growing and learning so much.  He walked early, he ran quickly, and now I dare say he's awesome when it comes to throwing a ball (watch out, Cliff Lee).  He's been either with the pack or out in front on almost everything since day 1, so I know I don't have much room to complain.  And I'm not really complaining...just worrying more than anything.

Nash hasn't really said much.  Don't get me wrong, he "talks" all day long.  He babbles full blown conversations with you (and everyone) endlessly.  But other than "mama" and "daddy,"  he hasn't said another word.  So, I did the worst thing I could have done...I googled.  According to Babycenter.com, the average 15-month old can say an additional 3 words.  3?!?!  I'm like, oh my...  We're not even close.

Even so, I think no big deal, we'll wait and talk to the doctor about it next week.  So, we had his appointment on Monday and she asked us all the usual milestone questions...running, throwing, etc...  And then she asked about the speaking...and we were honest, of course.  She told us that most toddlers his age can say 4 words (including mama and dada).  Ugh!  I told her that was my main concern...and she said not to worry.  That he's extremely social and very talkative....she would be worried if it wasn't doing those things.  But that he just needs a little more time and then it will all come out.  And don't get me wrong, he definitely understands the words, and responds to them (like when I ask him to go get my the ball or runs to the fridge when I ask him if he wants some milk)...he just doesn't vocalize in return.

Here's a little video of tonight's bath...of course, he didn't say anything, but he did try to communicate.  Hopefully soon I'll get a good video of his really gabbing away.


And each day that goes by and I don't hear a word, I'm getting more nervous.

I'm worried we didn't read to him enough.  Worried he watched/watches too much tv.  Worried that because I'm not here, he's not learning enough (no dig on my husband or anything, I'm just way pushier with the learning thing).

Again, I hate to complain, but it's getting me down lately.  I just want to here something...anything...

If you have kids out there, what was your experience with talking?  Did it happen gradually or did something just suddenly click for them?  How old were they?


3 comments:

  1. During premob I was running with my Chief and he said he was seriously concerned because his 2 year old wasn't talking at all but his older daughter talked pretty quickly. The doctor told him not to worry that it would come. 6 months later I see his family on Skype and this kid is talking up a storm, it like a bubble popped as words shot out of them.

    I know every mom stresses about child progression but seriously this time next year you will have completely forgotten that he was two words short at 15 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I work for Early Intervention. It helps kids 0-3 with developmental delays such as a language delay. A speech therapist will perform an evaluation on your son & that same day you will know if he qualifies. If he does qualify for speech services, the therapist will come to your home either 1x a week, 2x a month, or monthly (whatever you decide is best & works for you) to "work" with your son. By "work" I mean play. Itidyll be fun, motivating games that include a lot of language & will motivate him to talk. Some tips I can give you are: to hold off on giving him things he really wants like a drink or food till he attempts to say something even if it's just a sound or the first part of the word so long as he communicates w/you, put his toys where he has to ask for them instead of at an easy reach, label everything, describe everything to him, & read to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my state, it is a free service. The state will pay for it or your insurance. You can make the referral yourself, no need for your Doctor to make it. After 3, the school dept will continue w/services if he still needs speech therapy. Good luck to you! xo

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...