Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Midweek Breakfast Baking

Lately I've really embraced my role as wife (housewife, currently) and have been making a ton of creative new recipes for Joe to try (mostly for dinner, as that's his only consistent meal of the day).  So I thought I would share these recipes with you as I make them, complete with my own personal review, in case you want to try them yourself.

My biggest challenge is always how to make meat dishes vegetarian-friendly, since my husband only eats fish and seafood.  Thanks to the plethora of fake meat products out there now, I have been really successful in recreating some of my favorite foods using soy- or wheat-based veggie products.  Keep in mind you can always make the recipes using regular old meat too.

Yesterday I started out making these pumpkin cinnamon rolls I found (think it was on Make It and Love it, but I can't find the link anymore).  The recipe comes from another site too.  I started them yesterday and finished them this morning (they take a while to rise), and just polished off one for breakfast (may need to make that two soon).
Here is a shot of my finished product:


Now here's my review:
Pretty tasty!  Does take quite some time (as I am guilty of using older yeast, so it took way more than the hour listed on the recipe for my dough to double in size).  Also, I liked the idea of including some wheat flour in there to boost the health content, but I found I actually tasted it (which may slightly deter my not-so-healthy husband).  And yes, the pumpkin is rather subtle (again, so as to hopefully trick my husband, who does not like anything pumpkin).  Also, I did not add cardamom or cloves to the filling (because I just didn't have them), but I think it turned out great anyways.  Overall rating though: 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...