Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Update on Sewing Projects

I've been a sewing machine these last few weeks!!  You wouldn't believe all the stuff I've made (and all the times I totally screwed something up)!  I am going to try to show you everything, with links to the tutorials or images that I used as inspiration.  First I hit up Joann's and got some supplies!



Project 2:  Pacifier Clip
Although I am not sure we will use paci's, I thought this was a cute and easy project to try (and I've seen tutorials all over the place). 

I bought some ribbon, some thin elastic, and a suspender clip and I was ready to go!  Here is my finished product!

For the next one, I think I will double up the ribbon to have the pattern on both sides and give it some body.  I just wasn't comfortable with doing a serge or zigzag around the edges this early on in my sewing skills. hehe...

Project 3: Small Zippered Pouch
I was really eager to try this, so I bought a bunch of zippers in different sizes and colors.  Oddly, the tutorial I used called for a 12" zipper that you were then supposed to trim.  Well I couldn't find a 12" one, so I bought some 9" ones and they worked perfectly...no trimming needed!  Here is the fabric I chose for the outside and the lininng:


I used a pinkish zipper and some fusible interfacing to give it some body, and this is what I ended up with!
Super cute!!  My only complaints are this:  You can see the raw edges on the inside.  I've seen some other tutorials that put these together differently in such a way that I think would help hide this edge.  Also, I used the wrong fabric for the applique "T" as you can totally see through it the flower pattern from the other fabric. Noted for next time.  But other than that, love love love!

Project 4: Diaper/Wipes Case
I really want to make things I am going to use, so why not make a sweet little puch to throw into my diaper bag to keep all those little things corralled!  I used the basic tutorial found here, with some little tweaks of my own and this is what I ended up with:
I love the fabric!  It's pretty, but still kind of masculine too, so that when I hand the pack to Joe to do diaper duty, he won't be carrying around some flowery pink thing!  I know he'll appreciate it.  The star was a last minute addition (since I am still learning how to make things unique and special) made of white felt that I appliqued using heat n bond. 

Those are just as few of my recent projects...will post the others in another entry - just to break things up a bit.

1 comment:

  1. i really love this. I keep asking Derek for a sewing machine. I can just imagine all the stuff you will sew while on maternity leave.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...