Friday, November 26, 2010

More Baby Projects

Since I am back on my sewing kick, I decided to knock out a few more baby projects...including several that have been sitting around waiting for me to address them.

First up was a pillow case.  You see, they say you should bring your own pillows to the hospital so you are more comfortable and you won't have to go without if it's uber busy and they are short on pillows.  But, you aren't supposed to bring white ones, since these will be easily confused with the hospital ones.  So I toyed with the idea of buying some brightly colored pillow cases that would cheer me up (hopefully) and provide some comfort while I am in labor and recovery...but then I came across this tutorial on my new favorite blog, Make It and Love It and thought, I can do this!  And I have a ton of this silky soft knit fabric from our wedding photobooth background that would work perfectly and be unmistakably ours!  It was definitely challenging working with something that large (cutting, pinning, and sewing), but I managed to knock one out!
I still need to make one more (which I already have cut, just have to pin and sew), so I'll save that for another day. 

I also finished up the other two Wee Wee Wigwams I had started a while ago (if you recall, I accidently cut whole circles instead of half circles, so I ended up with more than I meant to).  Here is his complete collection, unless I get bored of those designs and decide to create a few more.


Also, I bought this book a while back that is filled with all kinds of cute baby projects, but I had yet to try making any of them.  There are definitely some booties, burp cloths, and a hat I want to make, but I figured I would start with some a little different.  I decided to try making a fabric block for Nash to play with.  I basically cut 4" squares out of 4 coordinating cotton fabrics and two 4" squares of yellow fleece I bought from the remnants bin.  Then you sew it all together (minus one side), stuff with filling, and then hand sew the last side.  Here she is:
You can see from the pic that it is slightly larger than you would expect (or at least, larger than I expected).  I already cut out enough squares to make another one, so we're stuck with the larger size, but I think it should be more like 3" squares.

Finally, I have made two different bibs in the last few weeks and wanted to share them with you.  The first one I made using a pattern from this site.  However, I think it came out too small.  Perhaps this is due to my inability to maintain a seam allowance or if I just screwed something up, but I didn't like how it turned out.  So, I borrowed one of the bibs I had bought from Target and used that as a pattern.  This one turned out much better, and I even appliqued on a little tie design that I got from this site

Here you can see the two bibs side-by-side and notice the size difference.

Something to keep in mind when using patterns in the future...I really should use my judgment once I see the pattern and decide if it's going to work or not BEFORE I start sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...