Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Nursery Paper Craft

Since I tend to be overly organized and type A, I realized that Joe (and whoever else comes over to help when the baby is born) may need some help finding all of Baby Nash's things if I'm not around.   I decided to make these little tags to hang from each of his drawers...which I think will not only help others find things, but also let them know where to put things back.  This way I don't go looking for bibs and instead find blankets.

So I started out in powerpoint and created a rough template for business cards, which I deemed about the right size and already perforated.  I am sure you can use one of the templates in Word, but I wanted to play around with some graphics and Word can be so frustrating when it comes to free design.

I designed each card, entered the appropriate label for each drawer, and printed them out (after I printed a tester on plain paper and made sure it lined up with the perforations on the cards).  Then I used some fancy scissors to clip off the corners with no graphics (just to give it a little flair).  I punch small holes and tied some ribbon and ta-da!  Little labels!

For the bins with no handles, I simply used some double-sided tape to adhere them right to the bins (no holes needed).
 Here is a shot of the changing table/dresser set up we have.  We are still waiting on our custom nursery bedding (to include a matching changing pad cover), so that is still pretty plain.  Also, see that orange cord hanging on the left side of the pic?  That's from his ceiling light and Joe is supposed to get up there and hard-wire it so we won't have that cord hanging. 

 Also, I finally hung up the mobile I made forever ago.  I had seen mobiles around that were basically just a bunch of circle-shaped pieces of paper cut out and strung in a pattern, but they were being sold for like $100!  I couldn't see myself paying for it, so I thought I would try making it myself.  Here is how it turned out!


I used the inner circle of a few embroidery circles for the hangers, clear jewelry thread (kind of like fishing line), and a small circle cutter to punch a ton of circles out of black, gray, orange, and white cardstock.  It was insanely tedious because I had to thread the line through one hole at a time, tying a knot in between each one to keep them separate but not TOO separate.  Took me a few days, but I managed it.  Then I tied all the different sized strings of circles to the wooden hangers and then had to attach each hanger to the other ones!  I needed Joe's extra hands for this (he held the top hanger will I adjusted and tied the strings for the lower hanger).  Finally, we installed a simple hook into the ceiling and tied the whole thing to the hook using the same jewelry thread.  Phew!!!  So cute, but a lot of work.  Did save me at least $70, even considering that I had to buy the circle puncher for $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...