Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sewing and Baby-Making

It's been a while since my last blog because it's been the craziest three weeks, I swear.  So much has happened.  Birthdays, holidays, work stuff, friend get-togethers...and lots of swelling, aching, and complaining in between!


What a belly!

We are right at the 34 weeks mark, so things are getting close.  We've started our childbirth classes and will soon migrate to the once a week doctor's visits we've heard so much about.  We still have another ultrasound on the 29th to determine if our baby is still a chunkster, and to see if we might induce or if he might come early (come on, kid!!).  I am more miserable than ever, fighting bouts of pre-partum depression, and then conversely wearing myself out with projects, nesting, errands, etc...  What a crazy time, I tell ya.

One of the things I have been really caught up in lately is sewing.  I am so eager to get moving and learning on my new sewing machine, but I am a little frustrated.  I want to make these little bags, purses, bibs, etc... but it's like you need something different for each one.  So I'm always running around trying to find these things, and ended up wasting my time driving up to Viera (Hobby Lobby was closed and Michaels' sewing section is PATHETIC).  So I still need to make a trip down to Joann's to get zippers and whatnot and then I can begin!!  I've only made one thing so far (successfully).  I wanted to make a little case for my phone, and since it didn't need require anything other than fabric and some felt, I was ready to go.  Here is the fabric I chose:

Then I went with some black felt (mainly because it's what I had lying around) for the inside lining.
I put both of them together and began sewing.  I used a tutorial for an iPhone that I found here.  It was pretty helpful, although I had to guess at my measurements since I was doing it for a much fatter Blackberry.  So, here was the final product!

My only complaint is that I did in fact mess up the measurements a bit (I think mostly because I have not perfected my ability to sew an exact seam allowance yet).  So it's a little snug width-wise and a little long length-wise.  So I think I am going to try making another one, with hot pink felt next time!

I also tried making some simple envelope type bags for whatever (again, because they didn't need anything other than fabric), but I didn't use a tuturial and ended up sewing it completely closed (twice).  So, I have not quite mastered the technical understanding of the steps yet, so I will still to tutorials until I do.   So much I want to make though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...