Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sewing Projects Update 2!

My next sewing project was one I had considered buying, but then I noticed this tutorial and thought, OMG, how easy and perfect! 

Project 5:  Wee Wee Wigwam (or Pee Pee Teepee, if you prefer)
All I needed was some cotton fabric and some soft fabric for the lining ( I used some white fleece like material I got out of the scrap bin at Joann's).

I accidently traced a whole circle onto my fabric and lining before realizing I only needed a half circle, but I ended up messing up the first one, so I had another half circle to try again!

Here is what my finished product looks like:

Yayyy!!!  Now I just have to make a few more so I still have one while one is in the wash!

Poject 6:  Tissue Case
I don't usually carry tissues around with me, but I figure I should...especially with a baby on the way.  So I decided to try this little tutorial.  My first obstacle was that the measurements were in cm, not inches.  So I tried to convert, but ended up with weird measurements, so I rounded up.  Well, it turns out my case is a little big.  Here is what it looks like:

I later found another tutorial with measurements in inches AND that featured a slightly overlapping lip (this one busts open and the tissues are exposed.  I ended up keeping my first one (for now), but adding some thin elastic and a button along the top to keep it closed up.  May try making this again in the future.
Project 7: Boxy Little Pouch
This was the original tutorial that my makeup pouch was based on (according to that website), but it comes out smaller and more boxy than the makeup pouch did, so I wanted to try it out.  Again, this called for a 12" zipper, but only used a 9" one and didn't have to trim it at all.  Other than that, all I needed was two kinds of fabric (outer and liner) and some interfacing (I chose a quilt batting for this one, just to experiment with it).
Here is my finished product:

I think it's super cute!  You can see I am not that skilled at sewing straight lines, as the pouch is a little wonky, but I can improve on that for sure.  Again, though, this tutorial leaves the raw edges inside the pouch, so I have to figure out a way to get rid of those.  Notice I used two different fabrics for the front of the pouch on this one!  Trying to test out my limits!  It is a little off-center and I only did one side to avoid having to line up both sides evenly (yikes)!
Project 8: Ruffled Checkbook Cover
Here is the tutorial I used for this one.  I wanted to create a cute little ruffled one like I found on the Pleated Poppy, so the actual tutorial I used told me how to do the ruffle part.  I chose to do a plain red fabric on the outside and a bright dot fabric on the inside and for the ruffle.  Here she is!
Issues I had:
  • The size of the cover did not allow the vinyl part of my original checkbook cover to fit inside (which I don't think it's supposed to).  However, I did not like how floppy the whole thing was without the vinyl, so I just cut my original vinyl cover down a bit to fit inside.  This of course covered up the pretty lining fabric, so maybe the best bet is just to include some sturdier interfacing or start with a sturdier fabric. 
  • Also, I used black thread (being lazy so as to not have to wind a new bobbin with red thread), so it would obviously look better with coordinating thread.
So cute though!  Even Joe thought this was awesome.

Project 9:  Zipper Coin Pouch
This is the last project I am going to list here, but I have so many more brewing, I can't wait to share!  This is the same general idea as the other zippered pouches, but smaller and with no boxy angles cut into the corners.  I also included a small piece of ribbon so I could hook the whole thing up to my keychain and throw it in my purse.

You can see from the top picture that I did my measurements a bit off (it really shouldn't be that tall, but more like those small little pouches you see in stores).  But it does its job just perfect!  Only other thing of note is that I used a 4" zipper here so as to not have to trim anything (I still don't feel advanced enough for those kinds of things).

I think my next sewing projects will be:
  • Envelope-style pillow slipcovers in Christmas fabrics (need to jazz up the house)
  • A new case for my phone (current one uses felt and is a wee bit small, so will redo with fleece and proper sizing)
  • Ribbon belt for Baby Nash (I did this, but only with one layer of ribbon and it really needs a double-sided pattern, so reworking).
  • Water bottle sling
  • Some kind of hobo-esque purse (going to consult several tutorials and just wing it)
  • Soft minky blanket for Nash
Then I may start trying to make some gifts with my new found skills!

3 comments:

  1. I am loving this!!! I want a sewing machine right away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! You don't need an expensive one or anything!! I just got mine for my birthday and I'm having so much fun. And there are soooooo many cute projects out there for little girls...I may just have to try some and then send the stuff to you until you have your own machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. peepee teepee. hahahahaha youre so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...